The Shire of Wangaratta is located in the Hume region of Victoria, located in the north east part of the state and covers an area of 3,639 square kilometres. The Rural City of Wangaratta has a population of 28,310 people in 2016.
Communities in the municipality include Cheshunt, Eldorado, Everton, Glenrowan, Greta, Greta West, Milawa, Moyhu, Oxley, Tarrawingee, Wangaratta and Whitfield.
The industries in the Wangaratta Shire include transport and logistics, health services, education and government agencies, small business a nationally significant agricultural industry.
The Wangaratta Shire is the hub for recreational, commercial, educational, tourism and health facilities.
The Rural City of Wangaratta have identified, through the development of their Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan, the following priorities:
- Prevention of violence,
- Achieving social equity,
- Supporting mental health,
- Enabling healthy behaviours, and
- Building active communities.
Wangaratta Health and Wellbeing Local Partnership
The Wangaratta Health and Wellbeing Local Partnership works collaboratively to improve the health and wellbeing of the community within the Wangaratta Local Government area through:
- monitoring the implementation of the Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan
- identifying local needs, and
- strengthening the local service system.
- Albury Wodonga Aboriginal Health Service
- Gateway Health
- MIND Australia
- Northeast Health Wangaratta
- Rural City of Wangaratta
- The Centre
- Women’s Health Goulburn North East
Wangaratta Local Partnership Projects
The Wangaratta Health and Wellbeing Partnership is committed to providing projects that:
- Meet local community needs,
- Enable partnership development at a local level, and
- Encourage innovation
Community Engagement and Equity Project 2015-2016
This project produced a number of resources, listed in the links and downloads section of this page.